Thursday, January 25, 2007

Arrowroot saves the day!



I went to the grocery store last week and quickly picked up what I thought was "canned pumpkin" to make pumpkin bread for my dear hubby. So today, I get all my ingredients out and ready -- was going to surprise him as he LOVES Pumpkin Bread. I open the can and in doing so I got some pumpkin on my finger and when I licked it off I noticed it was sweet. HUH?!?! I took a closer look at the can and it was READY MADE PIE FILLING! NOT just Canned Pumpkin .. OH NO!! For a moment I went into panic mode .. then I thought, "wait a minute.. I will just make him Pumpkin Pie! After all he has been asking me to make him some for quite sometime now. I checked the back of the can and for my convenience they had a simple Pumpkin Pie recipe, which only required the Pie Filling, Evaporated Milk, and a couple of eggs. As I went for the pantry I prayed I had an evaporated milk in there somewhere. Low and behold he was sitting nice and sweet in the corner, just waiting on me. :) Shew.. I was off the hook and on my way to making a pie for my sweetheart. All will go smooth for hench forth ... OR so I thought. I gathered my little troop (Emma; Abbi was still napping or she would of had her little fingers in it too) and we start making the pie crust. As she was stirring the flour and salt for me she goes "Mommy.. this is going to make a goooodd pie!!" I said.. that's right sweetie! *kiss - so after getting the crust mixed, and into the pie plate, edges all nice and neat, I left to "poking with the fork" part to Emma and I moved on to throwing the filling together.

I read:

Pumpkin Pie

1 Can Pumpkin Pie Filling

1 Can Evaporated Milk

2 Eggs (beaten)

Mix all together and pour into a 9 in. pie plate.. ect.

Little did I realize, until it was too late, that it only asked for 5 of the 12 ozs. of evaporated milk - ONLY 5 oz. and NOT ALL 12. But anyhow.. I poured it all in before realizing what I was doing. When I seen it was too "runny" I realized I just made a BIG OOOPPSSS! I thought it was JUST meant to be ONE BIG FLOP! But, I didn't give up THAT easy. :) So I reached for my arrowroot powder, threw in a couple of heaping tablespoons stirred it up and into the oven it went. I wasn't sure how it would turn out... but after baking it an extra 20 minutes, it was screaming at me to let it out the oven already! My hubby said it was EXCELLENT!! He loved it! As you can see from the picture that he and the girls already feasted! :)

So I can safely say that "Arrowroot saved the day"!!!! *SMILE*

** I also made gravy using arrowroot powder... and it was YUMMY! A wonderful alternative to the highly processed cornstarch or flour, plus it adds nutrition to your food.

2 comments:

New Mommy said...

WOW-- thanks for alerting me to the great benefits of Arrowroot!!! Now, I just need to order some from bulkherb, and toss the cornstarch in my pantry!

God bless y'all!

Baumgartner News said...

You are welcome! I hope you will love it just as much as I!

God Bless!