Monday, June 04, 2007

Baby Bunnies





About 3 weeks ago the girls and I were out in the front yard. Emma and Abbi were riding their bikes and I was painting a picket fence sectional. The next door neighbor was out mowing his lawn. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see something that looked like a dark flash run past me and across the drive way. Seconds later the neighbor is running across my drive- way too. I was like.. ooooo. k. Then he turns around and proceeds to tell me that he was chasing a baby bunny as he wanted to catch it so the girls could pet it. When I heard "baby" bunny, I decided to jump in on the chase. Unfortunately, our catch was unsuccessful so we all went back about our business. About an hour later the girls went down for their afternoon naps and I went out to hang some cloths on the line. On my way back inside I happened to look down; right there in front of me the cutest lil' baby bunny! He was sitting so still I was afraid he may be dead. Upon closer inspection I noticed he was breathing. SHEW - he was alive and SOO SWEET! I picked him up and carried him around for a while... awwwwww ... all the while wishing the girls were awake so they could pet him. I held him for about 15 minutes and knowing it would be a while before the girls awoke I sadly let him go.

That evening, Jonathan came home from work and he got to hear all about the "CUTEST little Bunny EVER". :) After supper he went out to mow. Knowing the lil' bunnies were now out and about he was on the look out fearing he may run them over with the mower. Before long, he came and told me he seen 1 of the bunnies. I found it, picked it up and brought it in so the girls could enjoy it. THEY LOVED IT! (as seen in the pics above :) ) Later we went back out and found another... Than another.... we were able to catch 3 out of 4. I chased the 4th one down all the way to the neighbors yard. He finally ran behind the stacked tires. I felt better with him being way over there rather than close to where Jonathan was mowing. So we kept the 3 in the box and enjoyed them while daddy was mowing. After he was all finished up, the girls and I went and put the bunnies back in the hole.. and one by one.. they disappeared. Abbi was so sad to see them go... (Abbi get's way too attached to things - that will be a whole 'nother blog within it self)

Mama: Ok girls.. it's time to say G'bye to the Bunnies

Abbi: No Mama ... Noo... I don't want bunnies to go.. noo..

Mama: yess... we have to put them back

Abbi: Nooo ppeaassee!

Mama: sweetheart.. if we don't put them back, they will be very sad. They will miss their mommy and their mommy will miss them.

Emma: Yea Abbi, their mommy will miss them! She will be very sad!

Abbi: aaaawww.... awight Mama ... bye bunnies!!

..... we are now seeing the bunnies each day! One lives underneath our deck, another underneath the fur tree next to the house. Each of the other 2 chose a fir tree further out into the yard. They are now medium sized and I am amazed at the rate they are growing. One of them will let us get within 5 feet of him, before he slowly hops off. I believe it was the first one I caught earlier in the day as it was so tame. It was also the same one Emma and Abbi was holding in the pictures above. :)

2 days later I caught a female Cardinal which was trapped in our sun room. They were able to pet her and loved every bit of it! They have been trying to catch the Robin's and butterflies, so far with no success. That doesn't keep them from trying again and again and again. :)

Summer is finally here. Today was rather cool - but not cold. Since it was rainy - (finally we get some rain!) - the cool weather was not bothersome. The girls have already been playing in water like little Duckies. Where there is water? There is Emma and Abbi - from morning to night. Buckets in hand - either dumping water on each other or drowning my flowers. Either way, no doubt they are having oodles of fun.

Emma has now completed her first year of pre-school. She misses going to school already. I am still not sure she realizes she is out for the Summer. She misses her teacher and her friend "Fisher". She has also been having fun being home each morning and riding her bike. She wakes up in the mornings and the first thing she usually says is "It's a beautiful day today Mama"! I say.. yes.. Praise God.. it's another beautiful day! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOO CUTE!

Baumgartner News said...

isn't it!?!?! :)

In the last picture where the bunny is on Abigail's lap - she reminds me alot of Esther. I think it's her eyes.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you're right! I didn't notice it till you mentioned it...it is the eyes.:-) Does Abby have brown eyes? I can't remember....it seems like they used to be green?

Baumgartner News said...

Well, they are brownish/green (hazel) but sometimes they look more green. They are still changing back and forth. I hope they stay green.

So many times she will do something or look a certain way and her look will remind Jonathan and I of Esther!

Emma is SO excited about the possibilty of us coming down! :)

Anonymous said...

I am excited too!!!!!!!!!!!!!