Sunday, February 11, 2007

Winter Storm Watch

Up until about 3 weeks ago most people were "complaining" that it just didn't feel like Winter. Around Christmas time everyone wanted to see snow. For the last week, we have had bitter cold weather. For people living even more North & NE of us, this may not seem too extreme but it does to us. We have had single digit weather by day, and negative degrees by night. Emma's school was cancelled all last week, due to the cold weather and too much snow blowing across the roads deeming the roads unsafe. Now, we are under a Winter storm watch from Monday evening until Wends. morning. So it looks like we are going to get MORE snow. We have had snow covered grounds for almost a month now. It doesn't get a chance to melt before the next batch comes along. The girls have had fun the few times they have been out in it but Emma is already talking about Summer and swimming - going to the beach (2 Summers ago we went to Lake Michigan and she still remembers that) running through the sprinkler and all the fun things she remembers doing this past Summer. She also misses the neighbor kids that would come over and swim with her. Summer is good - we can't wait. :)

Today, I made a DELICIOUS Apple pie. I have tried many "simple" Apple Pie recipes and something always seemed to be missing. Just ask my honey - he is my biggest and BEST critic! :) This one hit the spot. Jonathan and the girls just loved it. It was so simple to make. I found the recipe on www.allrecipes.com

You can find the recipe by clicking here:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/American-Apple-Pie/Detail.aspx


This is definitely a keeper, one I will make over and over again - especially in the Fall when apples are plentiful.

5 comments:

Doina said...

You are making me hungry for some apple pie. I checked the recipe out...it looks delicious! I noticed that the only difference between this recipe and the others is it calls for lemon juice and raisins. Hmmmm...very interesting. I'll have to try it!

Baumgartner News said...

Oh yes - I forgot to add that I did not add the raisins. I asked Jonathan if he thinks he would like them, and he said he would rather me leave them out..so - I did. Personally I think they would have been great! And yes.. it is very delicious! I gave Emma and Abbi the last 2 slices, right after thier lunch to assure that I DON'T eat them myself. hehe Quite tempting it is! - or rather WAS - it is all gone now. Good thing I sent some with Jonathan's lunch, or it would have been long gone by the time he got home.

Baumgartner News said...

Oh yes - one more thing..when you make the crust try making it with butter, rather than crisco shortening - it is much healthier AND taste MUCH BETTER!

Doina said...

I'll do that! It will have to wait till my next grocery trip. I just have a few Washington apples left. Did you use granny smith apples?

Baumgartner News said...

Yes - I did use the granny smith apples. Since I omitted the raisins, I added about an extra cup of apples, and alittle extra dash of sugar and cinnimon - I wanted the pie full - and it turned out perfect.