Saturday, June 28, 2008

Cherries - what a blessing!

Cherries all washed and ready to be pitted......

Cherries with sugar, flour and almond extract added, ready
for baking pie, but going in the freezer for now....

cherry pie just before covering with top crust...

cherry pie... fresh out of the oven....

This morning as Jonathan, the girls and I were being lazy, still laying in bed at 9:00... our phone rang. It was my friend Miriam asking me if I wanted to go pick cherries. She had a friend that had 3 cherry trees with lots of cherries that told her to tell anyone she wants that they can have how much they want. U=pick of course. So off the girls and I went to meet Miriam and off we went to this friends house. WOW - the trees were beautiful and I was very pleased to hear they were "organic cherries"..never been sprayed.....we picked lots of 'em! I picked over 12 lbs. and Miriam and her daughter picked alittle over 14lbs. Had it not been for the thunderstorm that came along and ran us off, we would have ended up with so much more! It is probably good the thunderstorm did come along, as it took me about 5 1/2 hours to wash, pit, make cherry pie filling for freezing, make and bake a cherry pie. I have enough cherries frozen to make another 5 pies. YUMMY! I feel so blessed... I made one with the fresh cherries but unfortunately this pie will have to wait until tomorrow to be taste tested. It's 11:00 and Jonathan and the girls are asleep and I dare not eat pie this time of the night. =) I better ski-daddle to bed myself...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That is awesome! If you get to go back do you think you could ask what type of cherry tree that is? I would love to know! We want some fruit trees around here. We're going to clear some land and plant fruit trees.:) I can't wait! The pie looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

oh yummm! looks soooo good! i love cherrys!

Baumgartner News said...

I am happy to report the Cherry Pie turned out wonderful.... Jonathan and the girls gobbled it up...I managed to taste a lil' morsel. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of the cherries on the red gingham tablecloth!