Friday, May 23, 2008

Gopher in Da' House


Actually... he is under the house. A few weeks ago I spotted this Gopher... going and coming to and fro' our deck. (under our deck actually) He was really cute. The girls and I enjoyed watching him. After all, we took mug shots. So now, all of a sudden we realize this Gopher just might be nesting under our house. eekkk... not so good! I have seen the tunnels these guys can build. This same little guy dug a tunnel underneath a dead tree down by the creek. The girls and I would walk down there some days to see if we can spot him. Sometimes he would stick his head out of the hole, as if to see what all the commotion was about. Not too long after we discovered his hole, I was sitting on the deck enjoying the beautiful, sunny and slightly breezy day. All of a sudden I hear a loud crack and then a loud thud. The tree that he dug under had toppled over!!! I nearly jumped outta my skin. I thanked God that the girls and I were not down there at that time. So the very next morning, I am sitting on my deck again, when I spotted the Gopher coming out of his hole, and looking around as if to say.. what in the world happened!?!?!?! It was pretty funny. He looked a little on the desperate side. He was climbing the tree, checking it all out.

I guess he figured that just wouldn't do because afterward, maybe a couple days went by he had discovered the deck and the underneath of our house. Last Saturday morning Jonathan and I were laying in bed when we heard a scratching noise coming from our AC vent. We thought... uhh oohhh. So now, all of a sudden, he isn't so cute no more. He kinda freaks me out, really. He will come out from underneath the deck and stare into my window...? So today, as I was washing my window's on the outside next to the deck , I kept envisioning him running out towards me and gnawing on my ankles. It was a really weird feeling. I really do think he was somewhere under the deck watching me. I was happy to finally have the windows washed, and as I dashed away I couldn't help but repeatedly glance over my shoulder to make sure he wasn't in tow.

So now, we need to figure out how to get rid of this little guy.. gal..whatever it is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! This story is hilarious! I know it is annoying though b/c you never know what he/she is chewing on down there......wires? water pipes? eeekkkk! Time for a big ole trap, then you can deposit him elsewhere...like miles away.:) Good luck!

Baumgartner News said...

hahaha... I'm serious... he is on the "spooky" side. I don't trust him.. he is too close for comfort.

Anonymous said...

Zoe is convinced the gopher is a dog! Everytime she sees this picture she barks.:) We also had a bunny hop across our backyard a couple days ago and she barked at him too.

Baumgartner News said...

LOL!! That is TOO funny!!! She is soo cute! I miss those girls!!! It's actually a groundhog..I like to call him a Gopher, as that seems to fit him.. HAHA

So when y'all comin' to see me? :p